Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Holiday

This is another upper. Funny incidents must be noted.

So a few weeks ago a friend from high school invited me to a party. He was invited by the co-host of the night, but he didn't know anyone else there. By bringing me along he figured it wouldn't feel as awkward for him. Of course, this was in itself pretty awkward, especially for me because I was the tag-along of a stranger to the group whom nobody knew. But me being me, I actually didn't care about the oddness of the whole situation. I wouldn't have went otherwise.

Now my friend likes to be presentable, especially in the presence of females he's never met. Pretty common thing to stress over, I'm sure. He asked me for my advice on mixing and matching upper and lower garments, though I'm not sure why he would trust my tastes. As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not much of a role model when it comes to fashion. But he earnestly wanted my opinions, so I gladly obliged.

Even though I'm not the type to be all fancy and extravagant just because I'll be meeting strangers, I did at least take the time to pick out clothes appropriate both for the weather and occasion, and I ironed enough to appear neat. I wore a dark green shirt with faded beige print design with khaki shorts. I originally planned to wear jeans with a dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, but it was around 28 degrees celcius during the day, so screw that.

So few hours later I was chilling in his study, bumming around on the Internet while he pulled out various tops and bottoms for me to scrutinize. We settled with near-white shorts and two potential tops. One was a black collared T with an argyle pattern on the front and back, the other was a light green top with a white print design. I opted for the black and he wanted the green, because it was more comfortable. I told him we would be dressed too similarly, and since we were both unknowns to the majority of the group, we'd look like a gay couple. After a few minutes of debating, he settled on the black top.

Fast-forward several more hours and we're at the host's crib, chilling in the spacious basement playing Apples to Apples. I was going to tell my newbie friend that I had a knack for this game, but decided to keep my boasting and victory-affirmation to myself because of the crowd. I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself. We actually started out slow, with my friend and his co-host friend on our team. We were down quite a bit, but eventually came back to clinch the victory. It was actually unexpected at the point. The last round was especially memorable to me.

The word in the middle was "pathetic". One team threw out "glacier" and argued that the bergs sit in the ocean doing nothing other than sinking ships. The other team said socks were pathetic because... I don't even know what they said. Didn't make much sense to me, no offense to them. We dropped "crystal balls" and our response was relatively epic, if that's even possible to classify.

The following is a paraphrase. "If you need a fortune teller to tell you what you should do with your life, that's pretty pathetic. But here's the most important point. A person with courage, strength, and confidence is said to have balls of steel. Steel is strong, solid, heavy. Crystal, on the other hand, is fragile, delicate, exposed. If you have crystal balls, that's just pathetic."

But the funniest part of the night was not this mere victory of wits and words. The father of the host came downstairs to inform the party that dinner was ready. He had the same black collared argyle shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment